When people think back to some of their best childhood memories, a lot of them always remember the delicious smell of freshly baked gingerbread man cookies coming from the kitchen. Gingerbread men cookies date back to the 15 century and have been a favorite ever since. They are usually shaped into something that is human-like, however other shapes have also become common, especially around seasonal holidays such as Halloween and Christmas.Â No matter the time of year, eating these cookies are a real treat. Take a look at this classic gingerbread man cookie recipe that will definitely be loved by all.
3 cups of all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons of unsalted butter
Â¾ cup of dark brown sugar
1 large egg
Â½ cup of molasses
2 teaspoons of vanilla
1 teaspoon of finely grated lemon zest
1 Â½ teaspoon of baking powder
Â¾ teaspoon of baking soda
1â„4 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of ground ginger
1 Â¾ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1â„4 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves unit it’s all well blended.
- Next, in a large bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, and egg on a medium speed until the ingredients are well combined.
- Then, add the molasses, vanilla, and lemon zest while you continue to mix. Make sure that everything is completely blended.
- Following that, gradually stir in all the dry ingredients until everything is mixed well and has a smooth texture.
- Once you see that the dough is light and soft, divide it in half and wrap each half in plastic, allowing it to stand at room temperature for approximately 2 hours. Some may even prefer up to 8 hours.
- Next, pre-heat the oven to 375â„‰ (190â„ƒ). While the oven is heating up, prepare the baking sheets by lining each one with parchment paper or greasing it with butter or non-stick cooking spray. Set aside
- If you decide to refrigerate the dough 3-4 days before actually baking it, be sure to return to room temperature before using it.
- Take 1 portion of the dough and place it on a clean, lightly floured surface.
- Sprinkle some flour over the dough as well the rolling pin.
- Thoroughly roll the dough until it is about 1/4-inch (Â½ cm) thick. To avoid the dough from becoming sticky add a small amount of flout to the surface.
- Now that the dough is perfect and ready, cut out the cookies with the gingerbread man shaped cutter.
- Place them onto the lined baking sheet. They should generally be well spaced apart – approximately 1 1/2-inches apart. To avoid disappointment, do not overcrowd the tray. Instead, it’s highly recommended to do multiple batches of baking.
- It’s also best to bake one baking tray at a time for approximately 7 -1o minutes.
- Once the cookies are ready, remove them from the oven and allow them all to cool completely or until they are firm enough to be moved to a wire rack.
- Only once the cookies have cooled can you go ahead and decorate them any way you or your kids like. The cookies should then be stored in an air-tight container.